Custom Search
 
 
 
 
 
HEALTH - How to Prevent a Stroke
 
A stroke; also referred to "brain attack," is a medical emergency and it happens when blood circulation to the brain fails. It can occur when a blood clot blocks an artery in the brain or when the wall of an artery bursts. About 80 percent of strokes are due to blockage in either an artery in the brain or in one of the carotid arteries in the neck. The remaining 20 percent result from a rupture of a brain artery. Because brain cells cannot regenerate, lack of oxygen from blockage of the blood supply may quickly lead to cell death and permanent brain damage.

The following are the major warning signs:

• Numbness or weakness of face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
• Loss of consciousness or paralysis
• Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
• Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
• Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
• Sudden severe headache with no known cause
• Double vision, drowsiness, and nausea or vomiting
 
 

Some of the most important preventable risk factors for stroke are:

Tobacco use
Cigarette smoking has been linked to the buildup of fatty substances in the carotid artery, the main neck artery supplying blood to the brain. Blockage of this artery is the leading cause of stroke in Americans. Also, nicotine raises blood pressure; carbon monoxide reduces the amount of oxygen your blood can carry to the brain. Also cigarette smoke makes your blood thicker and more likely to clot.

Heart disorders
Heart disorders such as coronary artery disease, valve defects, irregular heart beat, and enlargement of one of the heart's chambers can result in blood clots that may break loose and block vessels in or leading to the brain.

High cholesterol levels
Eat low-fat foods, and have your cholesterol levels checked by your family doctor. If your cholesterol level is high and exercise and diet do not lower it, you may need to take a cholesterol-lowering medicine.


Sedentary lifestyle
Exercise regularly for 30-60 minutes, preferably brisk walking, at least 5days a week. Keep your weight under control.

High blood pressure
70 percent of all strokes occur in individuals with high blood pressure. Cut down salt usage. Consult doctor and use medicines that help lower blood pressure. Controlling blood pressure will also help you to avoid heart disease, diabetes, and kidney failure.

 
 
Include tender drumstick (Moringa oleifera) leaves in your diet or drink ½ ounce juice every morning as it act as a hypercholesterolemic(lowers cholesterol) agent especially in obese people.

Water kept in a copper vessel more than 12 hours should be taken early morning in empty stomach helps in the prevention and cure of heart diseases.

Whole plant juice of Mandukaparni (centella asitica), mix with honey (½ ounce each) to be taken in the morning in empty stomach. This is a very good heart tonic.Diabetes
Diabetes is also causes destructive changes in the blood vessels throughout the body, including the brain. Also, if blood glucose levels are high at the time of a stroke, then brain damage is usually more severe and extensive than when blood glucose is well-controlled.

Aspirin can lower the risk of stroke in some people. However there are risks associated with taking aspirin every day. (The Drug and Food administration of the U.S. have clearly given a warning to all the aspirin consuming people that they should stay away from consuming alcohol.)

 
 

Eat more fruits and vegetables. Liberal use of fruits and vegetables has been found beneficial in the prevention and treatment of stroke.

Spinach (fresh) and carrots are found valuable in the prevention and treatment of stroke. The protection seems to come partly from beta carotene in carrots and spinach. Other foods rich in beta carotene are pumpkin, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, oranges, papayas, mangoes and melon.

Potassium is another potent antidote against strokes and potassium-rich food (bananas, citrus fruits, potatoes and pulses etc) every day, may reduce the risk of stroke by 40 per cent.

Also refer :NUTRITION

 
 
 
 
Copyright © 2005 ladieswebworld.com All rights reserved.  
eXTReMe Tracker